Build Your Own Jewelry Display
This earring display rack holds 35 vertical hanging business card-sized earring cards with earring card adapters on the back of them. You may also use standard earring cards, of course. Adjust the placement and number of dowels to best suit the size of card you are using.
I made the rack in about 2 hours from a shadow box found at Hobby Lobby (during a 50% off sale) for $27 plus tax. Especially considering the relatively low cost and short time investment, I was very pleased with the results. Please contact me with any questions or suggestions!
1. Remove the back from the shadow box (should be like removing the back of a picture frame0. Remove the glass by carefully prying off one or two of the supports. Re-attach the supports if you wish.
2. Measure down 1/2″ from the top on the inside of the box near the front, and mark. Measure 2″ down from this mark and mark again. Repeat until there are 10 marks.
3. Repeat on the other side of the shadow box. Be sure to measure carefully – if the marks are off even slightly, the dowels will be slanted.
4. Drill and 1/8″ hole at each mark. Cut a dowel to fit the top holes using a utility cutter or small saw. Cut so that the dowel is slightly too long, then fit it in the holes. Cut a small bit off, then fit again. Repeat until the dowel fits in the holes without warping.
5. Repeat for the remaining nine dowels.
6. Step back and look at the dowels in the shadow box, and make sure they are straight. If not, adjust your holes. Hang a few of your earring cards on the rack to make sure you like the look. If you need to re-drill, fill in the unused holes with black marker.
7. Once you are happy with the dowels, glue in place using wood glue or other adhesive. I used E-6000
because it was at hand, but this was probably overkill. Replace the back of the shadow box, hang your earring cards, and you are done!
A nice advantage of this rack is that it is not very heavy without the glass. You can pack your earrings in the display for transport to the show – just wrap it in plastic wrap or a towel and transport on its back!
Be sure to see the Jewelry Display Ideas For Craft Shows article for more ideas!
Copyright 2012 Kathryn Depew
Have you tried this project? Please comment below and leave your ideas and suggestions! Would you like to share your creation? Please contact me!
- Jewelry Display Ideas For Craft Shows (cottonridgellc.com)
- Make a Jewelry Display from an Artist’s Case (beadinggem.com)
- Innovative Solutions for Jewelry Storage (rentersinsurance.com)
- DIY Jewelry Display (leahdawnwilliams.com)